I have made this home page a place for my diary-type entries, with more creative writing and my 'Thoughts and Comments' section available using the tabs above...

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dawn on Skomer


The main track, looking south. Below, north valley in mist
This morning I set my alarm for half four, so that I could head down to the Harold Stone for sunrise.  The stone is a prehistoric monument, and there are a number of theories about its original use.  I was curious to see where the solstice sun would rise relative to it, and given that tomorrow (the longest day) is likely to be overcast, I took the opportunity to see the sunrise a day early.





As the dark of night receded I walked down the track to North Haven, mist drifting about me low over the ground, North Valley swathed in the fog to my left, and the sea silver smooth; there was barely a breath of wind.  The air was fresh, the flowers and vegetation damp with dew, and the sky was streaked pink and grey, with a plume of steam rising from the refinery at Milford.


Low over St David's peninsular a bank of grey cloud prevented me seeing the sun break the horizon, and in the end I had to guess at where it had initially risen.  But the island and the view out over the bay were stunning; well worth the early start!

Above, sunrise from the Harold Stone, below, the stone at dawn

1 comment: